Come on we all do it. We judge a book by its cover. Nothing wrong with that. Don’t be ashamed. It’s natural. I just wish publishers realizes that a book cover is the first thing that person sees before reading the synopsis. I know for myself, 25% percent of the time I’m buying a book just because I think the cover is captivating and gorgeous. People that’s the only time that my girlie side comes out and I buy because it’s pretty. No offense to the girlie girls. I wish I had more of that in me but that story is for another time.
Anyway, I just wanted to share some of the books that I brought purely for the cover. But get this–its the UK edition. That’s right my friends we’re going across the pond to drool over the beautiful covers of the UK. Yes I know there are debates on which country does it better but I think it’s pretty much equal on both sides. There are US version (Percy Jackson series) that are better than the UK releases. Then there are some UK versions (Throne of Glass) that are better than the US release.
Now I rambled enough some here are my UK buys that I just absolutely love.
1) First we have The Ghosts of Heaven by Marcus Sedgwick. I know nothing of this book or what’s it’s about but when I show that black and gold UK cover I had to have it. On top of that it has blue pages. I’m slightly obsessed with colored/sprayed painted pages in books. I think that will be a thing. Sooner rather than later. Yes the US version on the right is beautiful but my eyes were drawn to the shiny gold.
2) I’ll be honest with you–the US cover of My True Love Gave to Me by Various Authors, didn’t appeal to me. It was so ordinary and quite boring so when I saw the UK cover popping up on social media I had to get my hands on it. Not only do I not have to bother with a dust jacket but it has colored pages as well. They’re a bright pink which isn’t my favorite color but I’ll deal with it because the book is so cute and looks great on anybody bookshelf.
3) While I like both the US and UK version of Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, I prefer the bold, in-your-face graphic poster cover that is the UK. More so than the whimsical and enchanting version that is the US. Honestly when I look at the US version I think of the 1800’s although this book is set in a modern day time. I even though it was a historical fiction until I read the synopsis…lol.
4) Haven’t read Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas because I heard mixed things about this book but a couple of fellow bloggers told me I should give this series a try, so I am. That’s why I brought the UK edition because let’s face it, that one is better looking and more menacing in my opinion. Also it’s not as muddy looking as the US one. Plus, I got the paperback with free shipping for 4.50 on bookdepository.com. Win, win in my book. Just hope it lives up to the hype.
5) The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black. So this is my first Holly Black book that I’ve purchased. I heard she is an amazing storyteller so I thought why not give her a shot. When The Darkest Part of the Forest cover was reveal I instantly fell in love and wanted to add it to my collection. Pre-order……BOOM. So sitting on my shelf is the US edition and in the last 5 days I saw the UK and I must have it. So I ordered it and I can’t wait until it gets here. I just love love love the vibrant colors that is the UK version. Both edition are beautiful. Just that the US is more muted with a pop of color that is the blue butterfly and the UK is just plain colorful and bright. I know I should give my US edition away but I’m being selfish at the moment and I shall keep it for the time being.
Well that’s my list for now. I have plenty more books to show and share but I’m lazy and don’t feel like typing up more plus I’m at the 750 and counting mark on this post. I really don’t like making things longer than necessary. Don’t worrying there will be another round of this because I’m always buying (even though I’m on a ban) books. I’m a collector of words and anything beautiful to go on my shelves. Plus, the year as just begun and that mean plenty more beautiful for me to admire(splurge).
As always thanks for stopping by. Your support means the world to me. Feel free to leave a comment or feedback.
Avid Reader and Minion Lover <3