So awhile back I did a list of some strong female characters that I loved for their strength and courage. So it’s only fair that I do a list of female characters that I didn’t enjoyed. Most of the reasons that I will list is because of stupidity, whininess, insincerity and so on and so forth.
Just to fair this list is in no particular order. These are just my thoughts and opinions. Some of you might agree and some of you might disagree but I’m always up for discussion. Heck some of you might want to add to the list. I’m sure this list will grow as the year continues, so be on the lookout for updates.
Starting off the list Most Disliked YA Female Characters is:
1) Imogen from the book Suspicion by Alexandra Monir. Not only was she a spaz but she was a love-struck spaz. Instead of trying to figure out the mystery surround the Rockford manor and the death of her cousin she was busy making googly eyes with Sebastian. The love of her life since she was the age of 10. Really? This is the same Sebastian that was dating her cousin Lucia for like 5-7 years until her untimely death. Once she’s dead he confessing to being in love with Imogen all of this time. WTF! And like a spaz, Imogen falls for it hook, line and sinker. Talk about insta-love and I can’t think or breathe without you by my side. I mean he was dating your cousin for Christ sake. Talk about gross. Ever heard of Girl Code? On top of that, because she is so infatuated with this cad, she drops all responsible of becoming the Duchess of the manor. The girl total rebels and acts a fool at every turn because Sebastian is on her mind every waking minute. Girl get a life. Your self-worth should not revolve around a man or female. Seriously, I can rip this character a new one but I think you get my point. On to the next one.
2) Viv from Tear You Apart by Sarah Cross. Okay so I read this book not knowing that it was part of a series. Whatever. I still didn’t like this girl. Viv is Snow White in this retelling and she’s a pain in the ass. She condescending and selfish. Whiny and boring. There was no redeeming qualities to her character or personality. Viv was an utter brat and I couldn’t care if she died or lived. She treats the so call love of her life like (Insert cuss word). Viv was very mean-spirited and I couldn’t stand her. Not to say that prince charming was any better. He had major anger issues. Like scary, I’m going to bust your car windows in scary. Jealousy doesn’t look good on anybody. This is why I didn’t understand why these two people who had no business being together were meant to be. I know teenagers go through the whole angst thing but my goodness. Get it together and realize that this is a bad relationship for the both of you.
3) I might lose some support/followers for this one but I can’t stand Eleanor from Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. I know her home life was the best (I will not go into that) but there was so need to be mean, condescending and insincere to the people that are trying to be your friends. It’s called making an effort. Secondly, the way she treated Park was disgusting. I personally didn’t like the way she called him “That stupid Asian kid”. Made me cringe every time she said it. Also at the end of the book she pretty much blew off Park after he did everything to protect you and get you out of a serious situation with a pedophile (Richard/Ricky was a fucking pedo and it’s sad that the mother put up with that bullshit.). Eleanor could have at least picked up the phone one time instead of sending a freaking postcard. Really? He was the one that you couldn’t breathe without being by his side.
4) Tally Youngblood from The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. Let me just say that the first book wasn’t so bad but once I started to read the second book everything went downhill from there. I like Tally in the first book somewhat. Yeah she wanted to turn “Pretty” like the rest of her friends but slowly she saw the ugliness that was behind it all when she was pretty much force to go the settlement called Smoke and learned what the Pretty Operation was all about. It’s when you get to the second book that I start to dislike Tally Youngblood. She has the Pretty Operation and it’s like she had a personality transplant as well. She turned stupid. She became an insipid, lifeless, empty-headed fool. Everything was bubbly. Every other word and sentence ended with bubbly. That’s when I gave up and through the book. I can’t deal with airheads.
5) Bella Swan from Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyers. I don’t even know how I got sucked into reading the Twilight books in the first place but it happen and Bella was the first female YA character that I couldn’t stand. Not only was there insta-love on her part but did she turned total psycho when Edward wanted nothing to do with her. Once again this is the case of a girl letting the thoughts of a boy/man consume her every waking thought. Bella is so distraught that she is depressed for 4-5 months. I kid you not. Weak females are the worse. It was like she couldn’t stay on her own two feet without Edward being by her side. Gimme a break with that BS.
6) Sara Wharton from Tease by Amanda Maciel. I had a strong dislike towards this character through it all she showed no remorse. If she did someone please point it out. In the book Tease the author tries to paint a picture without being judgmental or to take side but me as a reader found it hard. Sara was blind to what she did and cause to Emma Putnam (the girl who was bullied). Whinny and crying about things not being fair or taking responsible for her role in the death of Emma. She was childish and obnoxious throughout the entire book in my opinion. Also she was weak, falling into peer pressure of this magnitude, all because she wanted to be liked and popular and because she was trying keep a hold of her boyfriend. All this bullying because she is so insecure with herself. Sorry but hating on someone because you think they might be trying to steal your boyfriend is pathetic. She was a pathetic human being.
7) Lena Duchannes of the Beautiful Creatures series. I read the whole series and I’m still trying to figure out why. It was horrible and boring and so full of clichés that I’m surprise I got through it all. The only characters I liked were Riley and Link. That might be the reason why I stayed with the series. Anyway the reason that I dislike Lena is because she was boring, flat, uninvolved and a pain in the ass. Too much teen angst for one person. We get it. You have powers and you don’t have a choice of whether or not will be a dark or light. Okay, enough whining. That’s pretty much what Lena did throughout the entire series. Whined about being powerful. Whined about not being able to be with Ethan and on and on it went. Someone give me a drink. Please.
8) Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bones series. To be fair. I’m disliking Karou from book two. I loved her in book one. She was fierce and determined. Kick-ass. Strong. Smart. A well rounded character. But once I started reading book two I was like WTF! The Karou I knew from book one was completely and total gone. This Karou was submissive, weak-willed, whiny, and pathetic. Because she felt some much guilt about what happen to the people she loved, Karou pretty much took the abuse that was given to her just so she could repent for the “sins” that she committed. With all that guild eating her alive she became less and less of the person that she was. I understand guilt and grieve but that does not mean you deserve punishment and abuse. I didn’t like what had become of Karou and this is why she is on this list.
9) Violet of Between the Devil and the Sea by April Tucholke. What can I say about Violet White or was it Blue. Everybody had weird ass names in this book. Or rather duology. I read both books and let me say that Violet has no self-preservation skills at all. If she could see that River was a psycho Lord help her. Not only this boy have the strange power of manipulating whole towns and villages into killing themselves or each other but he had the power to strip you out of your clothes. I mean every time it seem like Violet was waking up next to River naked with his arms around his waist. Now the way the author wrote we are supposed to believe that nothing happen between these two because Violet is the Virgin Mary in the book. Pure and innocent. I guess that is why she kept going back to River even though she knew this fool was a killer plain and simple. He killed for fun. Just because he could. Girl get your life and seek psychiatric treatment ASAP.
10) Nora Grey of Hush, Hush series. She’s another annoying character without self-preservation skills. Patch tried to kill her multiple times before he decided against it and Nora forgave him. It was like the trying-to-kill-me thing never happen. After that they couldn’t be away from each other. She was alone with him a lot. The same dude that tried to kill you. Sorry but if someone tried to kill me I don’t think I’m going to be alone with him or better yet start falling in love with him. No matter what type of story/tale he spins to justify why he tried to kill me in the first place. Sad day for females of YA.
Well that is it for now but I’m sure this list will grow as time passes. I’m a book hoarder and lover so I’m sure there will be more characters that I will love and hate.
As always thank you for stopping by. your support means the world to me. Feel free to leave a comment or feedback.
Blogger and Minion Lover <3